Nowadays, most Americans are feeling a mixture of anxiety and depression symptoms. Drug companies benefit when your modern day angst and unhealthy lifestyle is labeled as disease. Popping pills rather than looking at mental health triggers is profitable and easy. If you think your condition is a disease, you will be more likely to seek medication.
You can take control of your mental health! The trifecta of best practices in treatment may include medication, but also calls for psychotherapy and regular exercise. Hitting the gym vs. the couch and seeking therapy vs. exclusively medication is hard work! Hard work pays off, but takes more effort than medication.
A MAGIC PILL IS NOT A CURE ALL. IN FACT, IT MAY MAKE YOU FEEL NOTHING AT ALL.
I will totally own my bias as someone who is holistic and a therapist. I use medication and meditation. Often, the patients I meet with in my office are desperate for a cure due to having repeated failed medication trials. Asa result, they will try anything once, including holistic therapies. Solution focused therapy and healing techniques do not have side effects, however they do require effort.
My Motto is LESS PILLS, MORE SKILLS.
I am NOT into pill shaming. Some people need medication, particularly based on type of disorder. I do NOT believe everyone needs medication. Now, we all DO need better coping skills for toxic culture. When anxiety and depression become the norm, we need to look at what craziness is going on in the culture.
TOP TEN SKILLS FOR BETTER MENTAL HEALTH
- EXERCISE- May be as effective as anti-depressant with consistent aerobic exercise.
- DRINK WATER- Helps release negative emotions. Try for 8 glasses.
- THERAPY- Try skills based therapy like CBT, DBT, ACT.
- SLEEP- Sleep deprived can be similar to being drunk. Try for at least seven hours.
- MINDFULNESS- Breathe, Slow down, and Less Judgment.
- LESS JUDGMENT-Be nice to yourself! Don’t be in an abusive relationship with yourself.
- SOCIAL SUPPORT- Make sure you have a kind, supportive system
- HOLISTIC SKILLS- Try something new vitamins, Reiki, Acupuncture, and Massage
- BREATHE- Google square breathing for anxiety management.
- CELEBRATE- Build momentum with positive affirmation.